I hope you all had a great day yesterday and had all the S’mores you could stomach! The funny thing about S’mores, is that for all the build up and anticipation, most times you only enjoy them once. From then on, you enjoy all the components separately. It’s usually the chocolate that goes first, then the marshmallows and the graham crackers seem to stick around until you come across them again and realize they expired.
Now, I don’t know if you’re like me, but I hate when stuff goes to waste, so I decided to share with you a recipe for Doggie Grahams. My German shepherd mix, Indiana, has been a total wreck since the ever wonderful firework shows began on Saturday night. I figured that making some dog treats for her would help her get over her fear of going outside. Plus the treats can be cut into cute shapes or just simply using a pizza cutter, after rolling out thin, to cut the dough into small training treats.
So here we go:
- 2 Cups Graham Cracker Crumbs
- 1 Cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Tbsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 Cup Corn Oil
- 1 Cup Milk
- Preheat oven to 425 Degrees F. Grease Cookie Sheets.
- In a mixing bowl, combine graham cracker crumbs, flour, baking powder and salt. In a small bowl, or measuring cup, mix oil and milk and stir into flour mixture.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead lightly until soft and well mixed. Roll out dough to 1/2 inch thickness and cut into desired shapes. Place on prepared baking sheets 1″ apart. Bake 10 minutes, then turn over and bake for another 5 minutes. Cool completely. Store cooled biscuits in fridge or freezer.
Today’s post is going to be short and sweet. I hope you all have a wonderful and safe holiday. If you would like a few suggestions for 4th of July treats, check out the new adventure I’ve started with my sister’s,www.threesistersonecoffeemaker.com . There you will find not only my favorite treat but also both of my sister’s treats!
Have a great day!
Hello Everyone and Happy National Stay Out of the Sun Day!
Now I know that with tomorrow being the 4th of July, we all probably will be outside most of the day. If you were one of the lucky ones to have today off, myself included, you might start the outside activities today.
I live in AZ, and if you have ever heard one thing about AZ it’s probably that it is hot, like really hot. The most important things to remember here is water, water, water,sunscreen, water, water, hat, water and oh yeah, water. Nearly everyday, there is a news story about someone being hospitalized due to heat related illness, and it’s a total bummer. Below I shared a few ways to help beat the heat. Keep in mind, that I am not a medical professional, these are merely tips for keeping cool in the dead of summer.
- Always keep water with you. Even if you’re only going out for a few minutes, take a cooler full of water and if you’re taking your dog(s) with you, take a water bowl.
- Wear thick bottomed shoes, nothing feels as bad as the melting asphalt coming through the bottom of your shoes. *Also, if it’s too hot for your feet, it is way yo hot for your dogs feet!*
- Don’t wear dark clothing.
- Wear light colored airy clothes, if there is a light breeze, it will offer some relief.
- Never EVER leave children or pets in an enclosed vehicle or near a pool, or body of water unattended. Every year there are drownings that are completely avoidable.
- Slow down, Avoid strenuous activities taking place outside. EX: Hiking at the hottest point of the day, use common sense. When you have to be rescued, you are putting other people at risk, don’t be that person….that person sucks.
- If you work outside or have to go outside for any reason, I would suggest investing in a cooling neck wrap. Some people use them for marathons, they are light weight and just have to moistened to offer a lot of relief. *You can find these at Walmart, Target or any sporting goods store.
- If you want to stay cool by lounging in the pool, Otter Pops will be your best friend, they offer a variety of flavors and their frozen.
- Wear Sunglasses: The lighter your eyes are, the more sensitive they are to sunlight.
- Wear a hat. Nobody likes a peeling sunburned scalp. 1. It hurts to brush your head and 2. it looks like dandruff.
That’s all I can think of for now but if you have any tips or techniques for keeping cool, please share!!
Have a ‘cool’ day!
“You’re traveling through another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagination. That’s the signpost up ahead- your next stop…..”
Today is National Twilight Zone Day. There is no real explanation behind who created or why this day exists, it’s not about or because of the show, it was just made popular by it.
The show aired in 1959 and ended in 1964, it had 5 seasons and 156 episodes. Every year on New Year’s and the Fourth of July SyFy does a marathon. I knew of the show, not just because of the Tower of Terror but because one of my old friends loves it. Anyways, our families used to spend Christmas Eve and New Year’s and the occasional Independence Day, going out to dinner and fireworks. Before going to dinner we would hang out at one of our houses. And, you guessed it, we would watch the Twilight Zone. I don’t remember a lot of episodes but one in particular has stuck with me for years.
The episode is called “The Eye Of The Beholder”, it aired for the first time on November 11, 1960. Basically, the story is about a woman that keeps having surgery to improve her looks because she is unhappy with her appearance. After her last legally allowed surgery, she begs her doctor to remove the bandages early, to which he finally gives in. When they are removed it reveals that the surgery did nothing but it finally shows the faces of the nurses and doctors, that up until that part had been hidden in the shadows, that they have for lack of a better term, pig faces. So, she freaks out, which who wouldn’t? I’m not going to give away the ending but she gets exiled. I encourage you to watch it.
Perhaps it will give you nightmares like it did to my 10 year old self, I couldn’t sleep for days. I can’t even watch it today because of those nightmares…but I hope you like it!
Have a wonderful day!
Picture from Neatorama from Pinterest. Quote by Rod Serling.