Hello Everyone and Happy National Stay Out of the Sun Day!
Now I know that with tomorrow being the 4th of July, we all probably will be outside most of the day. If you were one of the lucky ones to have today off, myself included, you might start the outside activities today.
I live in AZ, and if you have ever heard one thing about AZ it’s probably that it is hot, like really hot. The most important things to remember here is water, water, water,sunscreen, water, water, hat, water and oh yeah, water. Nearly everyday, there is a news story about someone being hospitalized due to heat related illness, and it’s a total bummer. Below I shared a few ways to help beat the heat. Keep in mind, that I am not a medical professional, these are merely tips for keeping cool in the dead of summer.
- Always keep water with you. Even if you’re only going out for a few minutes, take a cooler full of water and if you’re taking your dog(s) with you, take a water bowl.
- Wear thick bottomed shoes, nothing feels as bad as the melting asphalt coming through the bottom of your shoes. *Also, if it’s too hot for your feet, it is way yo hot for your dogs feet!*
- Don’t wear dark clothing.
- Wear light colored airy clothes, if there is a light breeze, it will offer some relief.
- Never EVER leave children or pets in an enclosed vehicle or near a pool, or body of water unattended. Every year there are drownings that are completely avoidable.
- Slow down, Avoid strenuous activities taking place outside. EX: Hiking at the hottest point of the day, use common sense. When you have to be rescued, you are putting other people at risk, don’t be that person….that person sucks.
- If you work outside or have to go outside for any reason, I would suggest investing in a cooling neck wrap. Some people use them for marathons, they are light weight and just have to moistened to offer a lot of relief. *You can find these at Walmart, Target or any sporting goods store.
- If you want to stay cool by lounging in the pool, Otter Pops will be your best friend, they offer a variety of flavors and their frozen.
- Wear Sunglasses: The lighter your eyes are, the more sensitive they are to sunlight.
- Wear a hat. Nobody likes a peeling sunburned scalp. 1. It hurts to brush your head and 2. it looks like dandruff.
That’s all I can think of for now but if you have any tips or techniques for keeping cool, please share!!
Have a ‘cool’ day!